Spinoff & Collateral Event Proposals
June 10 – 12, 2019 | Washington Hilton, Washington, D.C.
Spinoff & Collateral Event ProposalsSelectUSA is partnering with economic development organizations (EDOs) across the United States to plan and promote Investment Summit spinoff events. These events will take place either directly before or after the 2019 SelectUSA Investment Summit in several U.S. locations. We encourage all visiting foreign business delegations to extend their stay in the United States and connect directly with business leaders and local experts while exploring promising investment opportunities.
Partnering with SelectUSA for your Spinoff EventApply to Host a Spinoff Event
- Aug 6 – Spinoff event host application portal opens
- Oct 1 – Initial deadline for EDO/spinoff event host submissions
- Nov 1 – 2019 SelectUSA Investment Summit attendee application portal opens
- Dec 31 – Final deadline for EDO/spinoff event host submissions
- Option 1: SelectUSA can help facilitate registration to your event. With this option, we will receive participant registrations and forward them to you with their submitted profile information. As the event organizer, you have the final say as to who is or is not a good match for your event. You are not obligated to accept registrations received. Following receipt of registrant’s profile information, you should connect with each registrant to confirm interest and participation.
- Option 2: You also have the option to facilitate your own registration process. With this option, SelectUSA would not receive participant registrations. Instead, registrations would go directly to you via your provided registration link (i.e. via Eventbrite, MissionTix, etc.). Your registration link would be published on the SelectUSA spinoff event webpage.
Note that many of the international investors who attend the SelectUSA Investment Summit tend to sign up in the February-May period. We therefore recommend that your registration deadline be no sooner than one month prior to the Summit, May 10, 2019.
PromotionSelectUSA utilizes a variety of methods to promote each event to our audiences including newsletters and social media. Organizers should also actively promote their own events. In past years, many EDOs have created landing pages on their websites for spinoff events and have worked through their own contact lists to promote attendance at the event.
- Online: All approved spinoff events are published on the SelectUSA Summit site (www.selectusasummit.us). We can accommodate direct registrations/applications on this site.
- International: The markets you select in your spinoff host application are the markets SelectUSA will target for heavier promotion. This can be updated as often as necessary by updating your application. In addition to regular email blasts and newsletters sent to international attendees, SelectUSA works closely with our overseas posts and U.S. Export Assistance Centers to promote your events.
- Social Media: SelectUSA will work with you to develop personalized graphics to use in the promotion of your event. These are a great option for social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter. SelectUSA is also happy to share and retweet your posts promoting your spinoff event. Please include #SelectUSASummit and/or #SelectUSA when tweeting to ensure we can locate your post and cross-promote.
- Investment Summit Registration: If your spinoff event is submitted and approved by October 1, 2018, details of the event will be included at the time of registration for the 2019 SelectUSA Investment Summit for all international participants. We will endeavor to add later submissions to the registration data in a timely manner.
Best PracticesSample Agenda and What to Include
- Dedicate your spinoff event to 1-2 industries, max of 3.
- Past years have shown that events focused on specific industries see the most success. When it is too broad of a focus or there is no specific industry, attendees and investors are unsure if the event will meet their specific interests/needs and are less likely to attend.
- If you focus on an industry (or 2), SelectUSA is better able to assist you with targeting the right attendees.
Collateral Events at the Washington Hilton or in the Surrounding Area During the Investment SummitSelectUSA and the Department of Commerce will highlight investment promotion events surrounding the Investment Summit via the Collateral Events Calendar. Any event held during the Investment Summit in Washington, D.C. and hosted by another group with the support of SelectUSA is considered a SelectUSA Investment Summit Collateral Event. SelectUSA Investment Summit Collateral Events Calendar can help drive investors to your onsite collateral events, such as receptions, roundtables and, networking sessions.
An Investment Summit collateral event should seek to attract the existing audience and should occur during June 10-12 in the Washington, D.C. area, but does not need to occur onsite at the Hilton to be showcased on the calendar. All promoted events will have the option to be viewable by Investment Summit attendees regardless of the audience selected. Hosts can control participant lists by including detailed RSVP instructions.
If you need to request event space, you may also use the link below to request rooms onsite or at neighboring venues for various events, including:
- Meet and greets
Note that space is limited and requests are not considered final until you have received official notice from SelectUSA event staff. There may be a rental fee for the space.
Apply to Host a Collateral Event