June 1-3, 2020 | Washington Hilton, Washington, D.C.
Startup Pitch Sessions
Apply now to participate in the Startup Pitch Sessions at the SelectUSA Investment Summit on Monday, June 1 from 9:00am – 5:00pm. Applications are due by May 1, 2020.
June 1, 2020 | 9:00am – 5:00pm
Note: Only companies approved to attend the 2020 SelectUSA Investment Summit under the SelectUSA Tech program are eligible to participate in the pitching sessions. Please apply to attend the Investment Summit before applying to pitch.
Each selected company will participate in one of seven sessions in the following categories:
- Health IT
Companies will make their pitch in front of an audience of Investment Summit attendees and a panel of 4-6 judges, including venture capitalists, corporate investors, and other experts. All pitches are limited to four minutes, followed by two minutes of Q&A from the panel.
Startup Pitch Session Application Process
Pitch: 4 Minutes + 2 Minutes of Q&A
Applications due by May 1, 2020
Please submit your pitch proposal in PDF or Word format (2 pages max) to SUSAEvents@trade.gov by 12:00am (midnight) EDT on May 1, 2020. Please submit your 2-page pitch proposal addressing the questions below.
Who: Company Name, Project or Initiative, & Team
What is your company name? What is the new initiative or project? Who is on the team?
Why: The Problem
What problem are you trying to solve? How is your solution different from other solutions? What is the market opportunity?
- Define Your market (global & specific to the U.S.)
- Total market size, your niche, and U.S. market potential
- Market forces
What: Your Solution / Product / Technology
- Describe your product
- What is the competitive advantage it offers
- 4 P Marketing Mix (price, product, promotion, & place)
How: Business Model and Achievements
Please describe how you are planning to make money, be profitable, and be scalable.
Achievements may include:
- Your timeline and milestones to date
- Existing customers and other partnerships
- Funding already obtained and plans for future funding rounds
- Intellectual Property (IP) protections (if applicable)
- Other relevant achievements
When: Next Steps
- What are your next steps broadly and for the U.S. market specifically?
- What is your ask to the audience? What are you looking for?
Application Review CriteriaThe SelectUSA Tech planning team will select up to 60 companies participating in SelectUSA Tech that submit a 2-page pitch proposal by 12:00am (midnight) EDT on May 1, 2020. Please send pitch proposals to SUSAEvents@trade.gov. You may include supporting documents as necessary.
Pitch proposals will be judged on the following factors:
2. Adherence to the requested format (who, why, what, how, when), with allowances for some creativity.
3. Timeliness of submission (Proposals received earlier in the process will receive a higher score).
4. U.S. market readiness (Is the product/design/concept well-developed and ready for entry into the U.S. market?).
We may contact applicants directly if more information is needed.
By applying, you authorize the U.S. Department of Commerce to share submitted information with partners who are a part of the review committee.
Judging the SelectUSA Tech Startup Pitch SessionsPitches will be judged on the following criteria:
Practicality – How reasonable and scalable is the concept/product?
Creativity – How different is the product or idea from others already on the market?
Market Analysis – Is there a genuine need for the concept/product in the market? How well is the target market defined?
Impact – What potential impact will the concept have on the U.S. (and other) market(s)?
Experience/Management – How well prepared is the presenter and their team to execute the concept? Do they have the necessary experience to succeed?
Strategy – Does the project and the team have a clear plan, including a means to measure success?
Presentation Flow – How well is the concept presented? Did the presenter complete the pitch within the 4 minutes allotted? Was the presentation compelling and concise?